In Memory of Millie, our Sweet Editor Cat By Rula Sinara


On Monday, October 21st, little Millie, also famous as the adorable #editorcat, passed away peacefully. Many of you know, Millie had a rough start when her mother abandoned her at the front door of Harlequin's Toronto office on May 16th. Coincidence? I don't think so. I believe that mommy cat had a great sixth sense and knew her little one would be loved and cared for if she left her there. Sure enough, Senior Editor Victoria Curran and Editorial Assistant Claire Caldwell came to the rescue and got Millie (named after Harlequin's street address...Don Mills Road...where she was found) the emergency care she needed to survive. Only days old, eyes still shut and weighing in at a mere 3.5 ounces, Millie proved to be a tough kitty.

 
Millie's first day at work as an editor...only 4 days old
And lucky Victoria got to take her home.


Millie was in kitty heaven. Attention, love, cuddles, Harlequin fame, her own Twitter hashtag and making it to 'editor' at only weeks old. Come on! Well, okay. She did work hard at the office and she did do community service by bringing joy to folks at a senior center.

Look at that belly!



Millie at about 3 mos old, right before retiring from her job in favor of leisurely naps at home.
Millie is in kitty heaven now. She became ill about a week before she passed and couldn't fight the odds again. She passed peacefully, painlessly and, I'm positive, very content with her life. I think Victoria said it beautifully when she tweeted, 'Small kit, short life, big impact...Too perfect to live long, I guess...'.

Hugs to Victoria for her loss, and to all who knew Millie in person or online.

As for pet angels, here's wishing Millie an eternity of belly scratches and warm milk.

Comments

  1. How incredibly sad! I had no idea as I haven't been on twitter this week:( Beautiful pictures of such a sweet cat...Big hug to Victoria and the editorial staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember Victoria blogging about finding Millie. It doesn't matter when you lose a pet it's darned hard. Lives are richer for having had them in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Rula. At least there was no pain. In the course of one week, she just lost her strength because her immune system was killing her red blood cells and she became extremely anemic. Probably feline leukemia passed on from the mom. Monday night she couldn't lift her head and just lay on the couch watching me and purring. She went very peacefully lying on her blanket with me stroking her. We all miss her at Harlequin! So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Victoria, and hugs. I have to admit I had to have a tissue box by me as I wrote the post and went through Millie photos. I love what Muriel said about her joining her cats who have passed on.

      Delete
  4. Oh, man. I'm sniffling. I'm going to go home tonight and hug Tyre my rescue kitty. So sorry to hear about Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They bring us such joy in such a tiny, energetic bundle. So sorry to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All right, I'm sobbing, too. I like to think, though, that Millie, my old Rosie, Spenser and Colby Jack are in a happy pile on a rocker cushion in heaven. I insist that all good animals go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone for stopping by to remember Millie.

    Muriel - Since you'd posted about Rosie so recently, I had that same thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very sad to hear this. :( I always loved reading through the #editorcat tweets and seeing what Millie was up to. Hugs to Victoria and the rest of the Harlequin team who had the chance to know Millie best, even if just for a little while. And thanks to Rula for the beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about Millie, but I feel like I do now. What a lovely little life she had. Everyone who cared for her has earned a spot beside her in kitty heaven (that's the part I plan to hang out in!) giving her those belly rubs and warm milk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Millie was definitely a cutie. I'm sure she knew she was loved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so sorry. She was so pretty and loved and loving--I guess that's better than longevity. But still...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this, Rula. What a sweet kitty. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment