The Promise of Rain By Rula Sinara


I can't believe Thanksgiving is only two weeks away! It's the ultimate holiday for kicking off an entire season that revolves around love, family and giving. A season that leads up to the start of a new year. In a perfect world, the love, giving and closeness of family would last all year long, not just during the holiday season, but still...I think it's symbolic that my debut, The Promise of Rain, is a January release. It's a story that centers around forgiveness, sacrifice and sometimes misguided selflessness. Families torn apart by trauma and the struggle to rebuild those relationships is a prominent theme in The Promise of Rain, so it's perfect that the cover captures the sense of serentity, family and happily ever after that the characters almost miss out on. And those characters include 'heartwarming' little ones like the baby elephant you see in the background and the little girl, Pippa.

My heroine, wildlife veterinarian Dr. Anna Bekker, is a giver and if there's one thing she knows it's that the emotions and values that bind families...things like nurturing love, mourning, worry and joy...aren't limited to humans. She has witnessed, first hand, those very emotions in the African elephants she's trying to save through both research and by rescuing babies orphaned by poachers. One little male elephant in particular steals her heart and I can only hope readers are taken by him as well.

I'm thankful for everyone who spreads kindness and compassion in our world. I'm thankful for everyone who reaches out in their own way and who raise awareness. It's not always about money, although Dr. Bekker's research and orphanage camp in Kenya's Serengeti is being threatened by funding cuts...cuts that are pushed forward by hero Dr. Jack Harper. Sometimes the eye of a photographer or artist touches the heart. 


Closeness by delboysafa
And another one I love by the same photographer...



What are you thankful for this year?

The Promise of Rain (January 2014):

He wants to take her child out of Africa...

The Busara elephant research and rescue camp on Kenya's Serengeti is Anna Bekker's life's work. And it's the last place she thought she'd run into Dr. Jackson Harper. As soon as he sets eyes on her four-year-old, Pippa, Anna knows he'll never leave...without his daughter.

Furious doesn't begin to describe how Jack feels. How could Anna keep this from him? He has to get his child back to the States. Yet as angry as he is with Anna, they still have a bond. But can it endure, despite the ocean--and the little girl--between them?

Comments

  1. Rula, What a wonderful sounding story. Now I can't wait until January and it's always late in the month when my books come. I watched the program that Prince William had on TV about his work with people who are trying to save African wildlife. And I've been a long-time supporter of World Wildlife. I know your story will touch hearts and maybe attract more people to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roz! I missed that program, but I'll have to see if they re-run it. We watch a lot of wildlife documentaries and I'm with you on being a member of various wildlife organizations :).

      In researching this book, I came across all the tremendous work done by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust for elephants. They were also featured in National Geographic. Just amazing and inspiring.

      Delete
  2. Such a great premise for a story! I'm constantly amazed at the range of stories within the Heartwarming line. This year, I'm thankful for the joy, the love, and the bounty in my everyday life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel, and I totally agree with you. The Heartwarming line of stories are incredible and there's something for everyone! I'm so thankful this line was born :).

      Delete
  3. Rula - I'm also anxious to read your story. Have always been taken by the unusual beauty of elephants and their total dedication to their families. They're just like us in different clothes - maybe better than us. I'm thankful for the generous God that's letting Ron and I grow old together, for the miracle of my patchwork family of adopted children and all the wonderful people they've brought into our midst, and for you and all our other Heartwarming sisters who brighten my life every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muriel, you have a gift for saying things so beautifully. And yes, an elephant's dedication to family and their memories of those lost is remarkable...and significant in my story. In fact, after a traumatic childhood, my hero was blessed with a loving adoptive family. Elephants (females, because they herd together with their young) are also known to take orphaned babies into their midst for protection and care. I've always loved elephants and have a pewter elephant keychain...a reward to myself when I finished the first draft of The Promise of Rain :).

    And I'm thankful for you too, Muriel, and all our Heartwarming sisters as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story-can't wait to read it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for January stories! I can't wait to read it. I love the premise! My family loves to watch animal stories on television and I am always awed at how some animals have bonds that so closely resemble the ones humans have with their family. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Thanks :). We love animal shows too. Anything from a documentary to those fun 'cutest animal' or 'funniest' or there was a 'countdown to the most...' and they'd do most dangerous, nurturing etc...Very cool!

      Delete
  7. Rula,
    I can hardly wait to read it. My Katie's Rescue takes place at an animal habitat. No elephants, although the director bemoans the fact. Elephants are expensive! Your book sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pamela! I'm so behind on reading, but Katie's Rescue is in my TBR pile :). I've been dying to read it because of it's premise and setting. I can't resist a story with wildlife!

      Delete

Post a Comment