WACKY SEPTEMBER HOLIDAYS by Rula Sinara & Catherine Lanigan


Happy September 1st, everyone! I love this month because my favorite season officially begins on September 23rd, the Autumn Equinox. Yes, fall is almost here! And for all you fellow parents who love your children dearly, admit it…you love September because those kids you can’t get enough of are BACK IN SCHOOL! Whew! You survived the summer! Our first day of school was yesterday (I know some schools started earlier) so I’m feeling a little giddy today J.
Now, because I needed a topic for this post and because I’m super busy, I succumbed to one of my favorite ways to procrastinate. Online research. All it took was typing in “September Holidays” and the fun immediately began. Do you have any idea how many wacky things are celebrated in September? Granted, this month hosts many important days—the kind that deserve respect and reverence—such as tomorrow, Sept 2nd, marking the end of WWII with VJ Day and of course Sept 11, in remembrance of the tragedies of 911. And Labor Day always stands out on the calendar. There are also religious celebrations in September and days I loved seeing on the list, such as Sept 4th Native American Day, Sept 8th Grandparent’s Day and Sept 21st being both International Peace Day and World Gratitude Day. We need some power behind those two days! Will Oktoberfest starting the same day help J?
There are really too many September celebrations to mention here and focusing on the wacky in no way takes away the significance of the serious, but here are some that had me either cheering or laughing.

For all you writers, readers, librarians and teachers out there:
6th is Read a Book Day
8th is International Literacy Day
24th is National Punctuation Day
You’re thinking, okay. They all relate. But it just so happens that on the very same day as “read a book” comes:
6th Fight Procrastination Day
So does that mean we can’t procrastinate by reading? Wouldn’t you take reading a romance any day over doing the dishes and laundry. Oh, and, this is preceded by only one day with:
5th Be Late for Something Day
Ha! Are you seeing a procrastination trend here? What if your book deadline falls on the 5th? Well in that case, I bet you’ll be celebrating Eat an Extra Dessert Day on the 4th! But save a little room for National Cream-filled Doughnut Day on the 14th J.
And isn’t it funny that the same month that celebrates international literacy also celebrates:
19th Talk Like a Pirate Day (Please don’t tell my kids about this one?)
I love National Women’s Friendship Day on the 3rd and, of course, Sept 22nd Elephant Appreciation Day!!! (Those of you who know Rula or have read The Promise of Rain, know that’s a special day for her! J)

Like I said, the list goes on and on. We’re talking teddy bears to felt hats. Catherine and I had fun reading through the wacky holidays. Check out two of the lists we browsed here: http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/september.htm and http://mentalfloss.com/article/12414/15-offbeat-holidays-you-can-celebrate-september then comment here on the wackiest one you’ll celebrate this month. I’ll begin by admitting that I celebrate the 16th Collect Rocks Day just about all year long. Yes, my name is Rula and I like rocks.

And my name is Catherine and my favorite wacky day is Talk Like a Pirate Day. I can't imagine anything more fun. Aargh!!!


Okay, your turn! What’s your favorite wacky September holiday?

Find out more about Rula and Catherine at:

Comments

  1. Funny post. I like the 6th, read a book day; and the 13th, positive thinking day. I like these because they can be done every day. I love reading books and I'm trying to get better at thinking positive consistently, so I'll take these. Do people really celebrate some of these wacky days? Lol....all in fun for me. Thanks for making me chuckle this morning. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, isn't this hilarious? I thought Rula did a great job. What genius.
      I can't believe it's September. I feel I missed summer all together!

      Delete
    2. I agree about celebrating those every day, Laurie! It's interesting to read about the origin on some of the days. I'm betting some came up just to motivate kids in school ;).

      Thanks, Catherine ;).

      Delete
  2. I'll go with National Women’s Friendship Day. I really cherish my girlfriends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,
      That's a really good one, isn't it? Truly, cherishing our friends is what life is all about.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Liz! And I love the "women's friendship" here at Harlequin Heartwarming!

      Delete
  3. How about: Another Fun Post by Catherine and Rula Day

    or

    Harlequin Heartwarming September Release Day?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! Kate. I love the Harlequin Heartwarming September Release Day! It's the first day of September. This was fun, eh?

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, yes! How could I forget (blame it on deadlines ;)! Happy September Release Day to Cerella, Anna A, Cynthia and Loree!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! Cheese pizza, chocolate milkshakes and extra dessert???? How could I possibly choose between things like that? My mouth is watering already. Thank goodness there isn't a "Stick to my diet" day in September!
    My kindergarten classroom is decorated with elephants and I tell my little ones to act like elephants (walk in a single file line, BIG listening ears, quiet voices, taking care of each other) and I spend the first week of school reading books about how awesome elephants are. Last year, our local zoo celebrated the birth of an elephant and we watched the baby on the zoo cam almost every day. So guess which holiday I'll be celebrating with kinders???? And btw, we started school in July. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, school in July? Though I think more states are coming to that.
      I wish I'd been in YOUR kindergarten room. What fun.

      Delete
    2. Aw, LeAnne, I love you for incorporating elephants into your kindergarten curriculum! You rock, girl!

      Delete
  5. Here in Phoenix, we celebrate September 1st as the beginning of cooler temperatures. A misnomer. They don’t actually become comfortable until October but at least by night time they’re out of the double digits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion,
      I remember those sweltering Septembers in Scottsdale!

      Delete
    2. I remember days like that when I lived in Texas! I love the four seasons I get in Virginia :).

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love Grandparents Day! I am so thankful for my "littles".....they make me smile everyday....what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I love Grandparents Day. Though my granddaughter is in Houston...too far away. I miss her too much.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh! How did I miss that one? I'm a brand new grandparent, so I get to rejoice in this one. :D

      Delete
    3. I don't have grandkids, but my kids are grandkids ;) and I appreciate their grandparents...so it's a great day to celebrate! And congrats on being a new grandparent, LeAnne!

      Delete
  7. How about stay in your p.j.s and read all day day. How about an entire month? That's my kind of vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rula and Catherine - what fun! I love knowing that there's an official, "Eat a Second Dessert Day," and a "Cream-filled Donut Day!" The world isn't such a scary place after all. And "National Women's Friendship Day." I have to plan a party. And you're all invited! Thanks, Guys. This was a great eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to start calling September 'weight gain month'...or wait...isn't that title taken by December? I'm in trouble ;).

      Delete
    2. I'm in agreement...it's December! Ditto the trouble factor, Rula!

      Delete
  9. I stopped on Fight Procrastination Day and imagined two boxers in the ring just looking at each other.

    Sometimes my imagination doesn't focus on logic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like September because I love school supplies. Even though I don't need them, just seeing all the stuff in the stores reminds me of Happy Days. I was one of those people who loved school. I can still buy tape and paper that I use as a writer.

    I also like September because I love that song SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER. I know they sang it in June, but I don't think of it then. And I love to sing. Thanks for reminding me of all the good things about this month. It's 90+ degrees with a high humidity where I am today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto about loving school and school supplies, Shirley! I hope it cools off for you soon :)

      Delete
    2. Shirley...and what IS that about school supplies? I love them.

      Delete
  11. Talks Like a Pirate Day happens to fall on my son's birthday, Gratitude Day on my daughter's, so we'll be celebrating. With cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Beth! Has your son ever had a pirate themed b-day? :)

      Delete
    2. Guys, I still like pirate parties. Rum. Hmm. Really fun food. Swords. Men in tights. Hmm.

      Delete
  12. I'm choosing September 5-Be Late for Something Day. I'm never late, usually early, so this one is a challenge. Great, fun post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment